Monday, February 20, 2012

Snooze and Lose!

We had a great weekend!   Busy Busy Busy - One of the things I have learned is if you see something in a flea market and think you want to buy it - buy it.  It won't be there when you come back.

This was really illustrated on Sunday - I had a regular customer come in from St Louis looking to buy things for his store up there.  One of the things he looked at was a very nice old big leather satchel for $95.00  The unique thing about it was it was made in Springfield MO.   He looked at it and wanted to know if he could get a dealer discount.  I contacted the owner of the bag and he was able to lower the price a little.  I went and found the customer and told him what we could do and he said he would think about it.

In the meantime I was also thinking about it.  If he did not buy it I was going to.  It was a great looking leather satchel in its own right but having the bottom stamped with the name of the manufacturer on the bottom and made in Springfield MO was awesome.  I was going to buy it and keep for display in the store. I never had time to research it but I would guess it was made in the 30s or 40s.

Next thing I notice is another customer walking up to check out carrying the satchel.  As the customer is leaving the store with it, the first customer comes up and sees it leaving.  He gives me a look and a lopsided grin and says's "darn, I just decided I was going to buy it"  We both laughed as I told him "you know better then to hesitate buying when in a flea market"

One of the things that surprises me the most are the number of great buys our customers find every day.  I work here and not a day goes by that someone brings something to the counter I wish I had seen first.

No comments:

Post a Comment